25th Sept 2012 (Version 1.4)
- Paperback edition 1 produced.
- Added TeXWorks section.
- Moved “Text editor and Terminal approach”, “TeXnicCenter” and “WinEdt” sections to new supplementary material.
- Added hardcopy-related code.
- Change to KOMA-Script classes (both for examples and for pdf versions of this document).
- Changed from using subfloat to subcaption package.
- Added section on inter-sentence spacing.
- Moved “Errors” and “Where to get Help?” to appendices.
- Moved section “Downloading and Installing Packages” to new appendix chapter.
- Moved introduction to packages to “Creating a Simple Document”.
- Moved datetime section to “Creating a Simple Document” chapter. (Removed reference to ukdate package.)
- Moved babel section to “Structuring Your Document” chapter.
- Moved graphicx section to its own chapter.
- Added section on align.
\substackand amsmath ellipses to maths chapter.
- Added extensible arrows and
\bigletc to maths chapter.
- Added booktabs.
- Moved lengths chapter to section in definitions.
- Added summary chapter with commands hyperlinked to their definitions in the summary.
- Changed definitions chapter to use a glossary structure.
- Moved bibliography into bib file.
- Added varioref.
- Removed dependency on html package (for pdf versions) to avoid conflict between html and varioref (html package functions not defined by hyperref now emulated; comment package loaded to provide htmlonly environment).
- Removed image of equation written in Word (Microsoft have improved their equation rendering) and added link to Murray Sargent III blog .
- Added section on what a terminal/command prompt is.
- Added section on auxiliary files.
- Added section on Perl.
- Added information about latexmk
- Mentioned grffile package.
- Mentioned on-the-fly EPS conversion.
- Mentioned etoolbox's
- Changed to UTF-8 and mostly changed to using code points instead of named entities in HTML files.
- Moved the document's home page from http://theoval.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/latex/novices/ to http://www.dickimaw-books.com/latex/novices/.
15th Jan 2008 (Version 1.3)
The main reason behind this change was to increase accessibility and conform to W3C guidelines. If you are experiencing problems relating to accessibility, please let me know (clearly stating the problem).
- Corrected error in the university's post code on the title page
- Added alternative text tags to more of the images, and made some of the images hyperlinks to a more detailed description of the image.
- Added information on how to break ligatures.
- Moved information on TeX to the introduction, and removed section on TeX that was in the "Some Definitions" chapter.
- Document nodes now have permanent names instead of the generic node<n>.html which LaTeX2HTML generates by default.
- Went back to using straight double quotes in the HTML document
as the fancy typographic double quotes are nonstandard.
8th May 2007 (Version 1.2)
- Links to UK FAQ added.
- Overview made into a separate section, and tidied up a bit.
- Added some extra definitions: moving arguments and fragile commands, robust commands, short and long commands.
- Changed “Text editor and Terminal approach” to deal with Unix-type systems rather than MS-DOS.
- Moved section on tabular environment.
- Added section on boxes and mini-pages.
- Segmented section on font changing commands.
- Segmented section describing graphicx.
- Added section on the babel package.
- Updated and segmented section on downloading and installing new packages.
- Added section on side-by-side figures.
- Updated section on sub-figures to use the new subfloat package instead of the obsolete subfigure package.
- Added “Need More Help?” chapter.
This book is also available as A4 PDF or 12.8cm x 9.6cm PDF or paperback (ISBN 978-1-909440-00-5).